Twitter

Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Craziest Thing I've Done Thus Far...

....in my whole life.

Ok, now I've done some pretty awesome things: got my black belt in Karate, ran a marathon, did a triathlon, picked up and moved across the world, scuba dived, ate a snake, got tattooed, pierced, etc. But this was by far the scariest thing I have ever done physically.

I'm talking about Bungee Jumping, ya'll!!!

That's right, this weekend I went Bungee Jumping in South Korea. I got to the bungee site (with about 30 other foreigners) on Saturday morning, and got suited up.

I was in the first group going up and I was STOKED! I don't think I really realized that I was jumping off a platform with just a rubber band to keep me alive.

The first guy in our group went, he just went straight over. It was GREAT! Then the next girl went to the edge, but got too scared. Then another went, and then it was my turn!

I did my exicted little gallop over to the edge...and looked down. YEAH....this was DEF not what my body was looking to do. I tried different ways to coax my body to jump off the ledge - I counted down, I did a mini running start, the group cheered me on, etc...but my body WOULD NOT let me leave the edge. Dejected, I stepped back and let someone else go. A few others got up, and then decided against, and then it was me again. Same thing...my body was calling me crazy and WASN'T having it. So, the rest of the group finished up. Then there were 2 of us left...I tried again, but apparently the 3rd time WASN'T going to "be the charm" for me. The last girl in our group (Samantha), also couldn't bring herself to do it. So, we sadly headed to the lift to go back to the ground.

Once in the lift, RIGHT as we were about to go down, I remembered something from my past:

When I was a young buck, I got in line at Busch Gardens (amusement Park) for a ride called Drachen Fire. It was full of loops and was the scariest ride at the time. My older sister, my Dad, and I all stood in line, and I was scared. Once at the front, I got in the seat - but freaked out before the ride started so I had them unstrap me and I got off. Years later, I went back - DETERMINED to ride the Drachen Fire. But, it was gone. They had taken it down and I never got to conquer that fear.

That was NOT going to happen this time. I convinced the worker that I was going to do it! Well, as long as he pushed me (he had pushed a few others at their request). Samantha helped me stay pumped up (in my mind I was all "Drachen Fire! Drachen Fire!") and I got to the edge....for the 4th time. I think the worker was simply DELIGHTED to push me off - and off I went....

I flew off the platform and went straight down. I was staring at the water and had a sense that I wasn't moving. I mean, I was falling but it didn't feel like it. It felt like I was floating, and my senses couldn't comprehend that I was falling - since the water wasn't changing. There was no central image to focus on - so the water didn't look like it was getting closer OR further away. My body was being mind-f*%^ed! I couldn't handle it, so I closed my eyes. Then I felt myself going back up, so I opened my eyes and realized I was already on the snap back up (I didn't even feel the snap!). Then I had to shut my eyes again because I was going back down.

Once I was done going up and down, the man who was sitting in the boat on the water rowed over to me and pulled me from the sky...and then I got safely back on land.

I will say that Bungee Jumping was something I had never thought I would do - but now that I have done it, I am happy I did. Now will I ever do it again? NO! Would I tell someone that "you haven't lived until you've bungee'd"? NO! I will say - if its your thing, do it. But if not - don't. I know that if I hadn't been pushed, my body would NOT have let me off that platform.

I left my memory card with a friend, so once i get the card back, I will update this with pictures and the video. Yes, a video!!! - that is, if I can figure out how to upload vids to the blog.

Ghamsamnidah,
Apes :)

No comments:

Post a Comment